Monday, May 2, 2016

Week 8 - Ugh Stereotypes

Stereotypes are a big issue with me personally. I think that stereotypes are hurtful and that all people should refrain from using them. HOWEVER. I understand the use of them in the past as a form of storytelling. As much as I disagree with this in reality, I see that stereotypes help to push stories sometimes even though I think that there should be ways around using them. Examples of what I think are stereotypes that are alright to use in my opinion are the ones that do not really affect the people like making objects appear certain ways to help make the story easier to understand. A good example of this is in the presentation pdf where it shows how you can distinguish between the good and bad of the story by how something is illustrated, the type of object it is, or even how something is held.

When I read the last question about if I had been stereotyped in my life it kind of struck me because as a white christian male in this world I am not really the subject for stereotypes. This is not completely true though and I know people who have stereotyped me and my family many times. My family is not like crazy wealthy or anything but are for sure well off and money is not a huge issue. People that know this tend to think that my family is snobby or selfish though and it changes how people see me and it can be hurtful. My parents are the most caring people I have literally ever met and do so much for others that they don't flaunt and when you hear things from people like, "Oh they probably just take everything for granted" it can be hurtful. I have been raised to always give back to those less fortunate and to never be boastful and respect everyone. My parents have built their business and lives around serving others and helping as much as they can whether it is their mission work and business in Uganda or even their work in Sarasota it is all focused on serving others to "enhance the lives of all we come in contact with" (excerpt from the mission statement of my fathers companies). With story telling I understand why they are there and how they can help to tell a story, but in real life I do not think that stereotypes should have a place.

No comments:

Post a Comment